Forbes lists 8 things people do when they’ve lost interest in a conversation:
- Look Around the Room — They are looking for an escape and don’t want to hear any more. Be careful not to do this yourself as it indicates a lack of respect.
- Avoid eye contact — Indicates someone who isn’t interested in what you’re saying or lacks the confidence to engage with you.
- Stare at their Phone — This is hiding, avoiding engagement. It could be a habit, but it can also mean people are looking to distract themselves from you.
- Talk too Fast — This can be a sign of distrust and disconnection. The person doing this is nervous and attempting to end your exchange.
- Don’t Respond — No nods, smiles, or eye contact means they are not listening. It is a sign of disrespect and dismissal.
- Fold their arms or legs — This is a defensive posture. They are indicating they are not amenable to what you’re saying.
- Furrow their brow — This is often a display of hostility to what’s being said. Your audience is judging what you are saying.
- Slump — This displays a lack of energy and confidence. Whatever you’re saying is draining this person of energy.